Monday, May 1, 2017

Parting Ways With Favorite Things....

So I've been doing some thinking.
I know... dangerous right?

For this post I will be using some of the photos of my old blog,

I've been thinking about how I want the new house to feel.
More than ever before, it is a new slate.


That is a good thing, and a bad thing for me.
You see... I'm a creature of habit.

When I talk about the new build it seems so far off.
But in a few months I will be unpacking and deciding what  to use.

Which is why I think I need to start now.
Parting with a few of my things...
Okay, more than a few.

I say this because after 44 years I know my ways.
If I move it into the new house.
I will keep it.
I will find a place for it.
And it will be too much stuff.


I look back on my photos from the farmhouse and cringe.
So much going on... but I liked it at the time.


But I am learning that not everything has to be on display all the time.
It is good to move things in and out.


I really liked how the farmhouse looked in the last few weeks before we listed it.
I took away about half my stuff... and it looked much cleaner.
Brighter... you could actually see what I had.
Oh this is a tough one.

So I write this as a reminder for me.
Decorate sparingly.
And then consider letting some things go.
The next owner will cherish them just like I did.
It might just be time...

See... too much stuff...  way too much.

So what is the plan?

Go very neutral in the main spaces.
A touch of slate blues and soft greens.
But mostly neutral.

My pastels will go into the master bedroom and bath.
Once that area looks done (full),
the extra will be sold.
I love all my florals and vintage prints...
but I cannot keep adding to them.

So overflow might go into the pretty office.
But I don't want the entire house to look overdone.

From start to finish it will be almost a year we've been in the rental.
1100 sf makes your realize what you don't need.

Were moving into 200 sf bigger than the farmhouse.
But I don't want a repeat of too much.

So... I'm starting now.

Hey, live near Huntsville Alabama?
Let me know if you want a first chance at my sale items coming soon.

xxx....Brooke






5 comments:

NanaDiana said...

I have been doing the same thing. Some things are easier than others to part with. Things that have emotional meanings to me I offered to my kids and they took a lot of them. I still have WAY too much stuff...WAY too much!!

I packed away so much stuff when we got our house ready to sell and, to tell you the truth, I have not missed much of it at all. I had too many things but they came into the house so slowly that it didn't seem like all that much.....until I look back on it. xo Diana

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Because I have moved so many times over the years, I don't have a lot of things. But I will tell you that there are about 20 boxes in the lower level of this rental that have been packed for a year and I don't even remember what is in them!

Ian's Girl said...

It always satisfying to simplify! I hope you have a space to store things in; there have been several things I've regretted letting go! Not many; for the most part, I'd still recommend paring down to anyone. But if you have truly loved something for decades, I'd say hold onto it, regardless of what your current taste is; you will likely comeback around to loving it again!

Joy H said...

Just popped in from another blog. Love your decorating style! Good luck with your new place. I am sure it will be gorgeous.
Joy@Books&Life

Our Hopeful Home said...

I so know what you mean! We got our house ready for sale a few years ago and most of our "stuff" went into storage. It was on the market for a year with no sale, but I didn't even miss what we'd stored away! Moving into a new house will be so exciting, can't wait to follow your adventures! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm! xo Kathleen|Our Hopeful Home